Belfast, Northern Ireland -- The latest edition of the Northern Ireland Municipal Waste Management Statistics, containing statistics for October to December 2010, is now available. The report contains summary information on nine key measurements on municipal waste collection in Northern Ireland, with more detailed district council information available in Excel appendices.
|Graphics: Department of the Environment|
* During the quarter, there were 220,687 tonnes of waste collected. Of this, 88 percent was household waste and 12 percent was non household waste.
* The percentage of municipal waste sent for recycling in this quarter was 19.9 percent, with the proportion sent for composting for the quarter equalling 11.0 percent. The total proportion of municipal waste sent for recycling and composting in this quarter was 31.0 percent. This is a rise of 0.9 percentage points compared to the October - December 2009 rate of 30.1 percent
* The total tonnage of municipal waste sent to landfill for this quarter was 148,944 tonnes. The percentage of municipal waste sent to landfill in the current quarter was 67.5 percent. This was 1.7 percentage points lower compared to that for October - December 2009 (69.2 percent).
* During the quarter, 24,343 tonnes of green waste were collected which is 37 percent of the total recycled waste collected. In total, 18,205 (27 percent) tonnes of paper and 14,362 (22 percent) tonnes of other recycled waste were collected.
* Looking at the remaining material types, 8 percent of recycled waste collected was glass, 4 percent was electrical goods and 2 percent was cans.
* There were 154,299 tonnes of municipal waste collected for disposal. The majority of the waste collected for disposal was from households (86 percent) with the remaining 14 percent collected from non households.
* The proportion of household waste sent for recycling in the current quarter was 20.4 percent. The proportion of household waste sent for composting in the quarter was 12.5 percent. The total percentage of household waste sent for recycling and composting was 32.9 percent. This is an increase of 0.7 percentage points on the October – December 2009 figure of 32.2 percent.
* The total tonnage of household waste sent to landfill for this quarter was 127,896 tonnes. The percentage of household waste sent to landfill in the current quarter was 65.8 percent. This is 1.5 percentage points lower compared to that for October - December 2009 (67.3 percent).
* On average, there was 109 kilogrammes of household waste arisings collected per head of population in Northern Ireland. Of this, 33 percent was recycled / composted and 65 percent was landfilled.
The full report on Northern Ireland Municipal Waste Management Statistics can be downloaded under doeni.gov.uk. Quelle: Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland